Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Love love love


I can’t abide arm-chair parenting. I really dislike this culture of television and gadgets designed to numb the minds of kids. When my nephew first met a horse he was terrified – all city living, all class but no (agri)culture. I grew up in the company of horses, I walked barefoot and stepped in glass, thorns, bees. It taught me how to look where I was going. There wasn’t such a ‘television culture’ back when I was a kid, so I read books and played outside. It taught me how to spell. When my cousin visits over the holidays with her kids, we’ve two channels showing cartoons all day and you’re knee-deep in kids in any room in the house. When I was a girl, we’d be admonished for lounging about, with a short, stern ‘go play outside’. Our skins were sun-hardened and our soles were battle-ready. We grew like poppies to love the sun.

I've two beautiful nephews who work hard to keep me in touch with all the kid-ness I can take. No small helpings, you understand. To them, my name is ‘when are we going to go swim?’ and they call me by that name whenever they see me. They’ve called me by that name even when I am in an evening gown, power suit or pyjamas. They are all energy and raw nerves.

As cliché as it sounds, so much of the future depends on the way we raise these kids. Be aware, cook your own food. Eat well, love animals.

These are the impressions I try to make on them. At six and four they aren’t impressed by the fact that I know that those pale daisies are in fact osteopermum, and they haven’t taken heed of my lectures on a horse’s digestive system (though they will suffer for it later on, when they receive the same lessons, revised with extra chapters on nutrition). What does impress them, however, is the rapport I have with domestic animals, the fact that I can walk on my hands in the swimming pool and my mad skills at baking delicious cakes. Actually my second name is ‘is it ready yet?’. If this is all I ever teach them (eat well, play outside, love animals) I’d consider it a great success.

Must love dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment