Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Monday 24 October 2011

Pie in the sky

I have baked savoury pies (using Jamie Oliver’s Steak and Guinness recipe), but never sweet?

 Glossy beer and beef pie

It is time… I have spent around two days dreaming up pie combinations.

Caramel and cherry? This is The Idea I have been toying with. And because of the immense sweetness, it would have to be a small tart, and not so much a pie.

Dark chocolate, hazelnut and orange: this idea grabs me. Basically blanched and roasted hazelnuts, dark chocolate ganache and orange rind, almost layering the filling  into a thin pie base.

Short crust though, will be the end of me, this is where I get unstuck. When I consider short crust pastry, I feel as if I should stick to a tarte tatin.  And here is the recipe I plan on using: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pastry-cake/the-world-famous-tarte-tatin

Bless you Mr Oliver, you have taught me all I need to know about pies!

Worth a try I’d think. 

Updates to follow soon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment