Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Monday 24 October 2011

More than meets the eye

I see you


Two of my dogs came to me as unwanted pups. They were ill, and they are unfortunately power breed dogs. Smart, big, strong, agile.

This is not their fault.

What also is not their fault is how people perceive them: fierce, vicious. They are not these things. I have seen my dogs melt into happiness at the prospect of going for a drive, cower at the tumbling waves of the ocean that I thought wise to show them, lick the hands and faces of children.

I am fiercely protective if my dogs. When I visit my parents (which is far too often lately) my dogs get relegated to back area, people over-react to their size, they become frustrated. They are judged.

I hate narrow-minded people. I hate how incredibly daft it is to take all your own lack of confidence and transmit it into the shape of a big black dog, or a big frightened horse.

These animals are loved, invested in, they are an extension of somebody’s person. They are not yard hounds relegated to outside and fed the cheapest way possible. They are not simply dogs, they are sentient beings. They think, they feel.


Moreover, they are my responsibility, and I do not take that as lightly as a lot of people do. My boyfriend recently said: ‘he is just a dog.’ But the simple truth is, there is no such thing as just a dog.

Love dogs, you won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment