Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Thursday 12 September 2013

love, pub quizzing, picnics and other memories

WARNING: this post rambles.

I have been loathe to sit down and write a blog. We have really been living - eating terribly and drinking too much. It saps your energy levels and seriously ruins your sleeping patterns. Guys, I am totally going to own the fact that my new love is chicken and mayo pizza and that my diet has gone out the window.

 I know you have been rooting for me Wolfie, so I'll add that we are going to start training for a marathon soon - in aid of mobile mammography trucks to travel out to less advantaged communities and get those women some much-need early detection facilities and educate them. I am PUMPED to be a part of it :)

I have been ablaze with ideas for my masters, but I ran out of momentum lately. A long farm visit and a few wonderful memories an amazing experiences to throw into the memory banks have derailed my obsessive thinking and I happen to think that might be a good thing.

But of course, knowing me, the process was riddled with the odd calamity or three. And some of them were rather shameful. Shameful or not though, we have to make time to create new memories.

On the topic of memories I am cooking this blog post inspired by the 40 Days of Dating saga that lead me to ask a few exes about our relationship - with the aim of posting it here and talking more about past experiences and LOVE (a key aspect of this blog). The responses were a mixed bag. One wonderful account that literally had me smiling, one encounter with a douche bag I can't believe I felt anything for and a new discovery on my journey with Tristan. Amazing heh? More on this later.

So Monday we snuck out of work early to go and have a picnic in the park. We took a few bottles of beer, a cooler box, loaded Big Dog into the car and picked up pizza en route. We had a wonderful time. Unfortunately where we decided to set down all our gear was FAR away from any, erm...ablution facilities.


I got to know that tree a little better later during the picnic

What were we thinking??

I need to ditch this filthy habit

But we got some serious relaxing done

Seriously, this guy slept through most of the picnic
We had trekked to the far corner of the park with a heavy bag containing extra layers of clothing, sunglasses, hand sanitizers, napkins you name it we had it, a heavy cooler box, a bucket with a 5 litre supply of water for Big Dog and some doggy treats for him, my massive camera bag, our matchy hats that make us look like a lame couple, a big heavy duvet, the box containing our pizza lunch and probably a few other things I forgot about. It was heaps of stuff to trek away to the bathroom.


Ooooh yes, we have cheesy matchy hats!
 So I did it, I peed behind a tree. It was liberating... and I never want to do it again!

Then, last night we went out to dinner, got a little tipsy and decided to do a quiz. A pub quiz. I am ashamed to admit we are no good at quizzes and we came last along with three other teams. Ahahahaha! Look, I don't know anything about rappers or how many babies Gwen Stefani has had - so I don't feel too bad about it.

(Un)Dead Parrots will be back for a rematch next week, sporting a third team member. The nerd is strong in that one
 I think All My Friends Suck came first, so there you go. But of course the two-prong team that comprised (Un)Dead Parrots has a serious set-back in the second to last round. As my guts started to ache immeasurably and I felt an overwhelming burn in my stomach I at once realised my chicken might have been passed it's sell-by date. That's right, I was started to go through the first stages of food poisoning. Right there! The plot thickens. I needed to dash off to the loo too many times, and when we got home the party started in earnest. I haven't been to work today and suffice it to say I am full of medicine and glucose energy drinks.

Le Sigh!

Stay tuned for the second instalment - we will rise again!




2 comments:

  1. Love picnics!!! My mother used to make fried chicken the day before and we would eat it cold with some coleslaw. Yummy! So sorry you had a stomach ache though. I had food poisoning a few years ago (when I look back I really should have been hospitalized). If you don't find relief in a couple of days, go to the doctor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh norries Wolfie! I am very very sensitive though - food wise. I mean something can just be slightly funky and I'll break out in hives and vomit for days on end. This spell only lasted for that one day so I am feeling good :)

      Delete