Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Saturday 3 August 2013

Love + relics

Flowers! Can you imagine? Maybe someone does read my blog after all :)



They are sitting there brightening up my pilfered bookshelf, right next to my pilfered chair next to the hand-me-down dining room table. I arranged them in those two hand-me-down vases no one had a use for. The glass giraffe is the only surviving one of a pair purchased in the Kruger National Park when I was a child. Old, and still awesome. I love our things, as ramshackle as they are.

And look at my favourite BREAKFAST. Seriously, breakfast food is my absolute favourite. This scrummy plate was served to me right on the couch. I am very spoilt.


Seed loaf Fench toasts with cheddar and a liberal dollop of tomato sauce. Tristan makes them the absolute best. The story, however, is that stoneware plate with the Dutch design. I loved these plates the minute my parents bought them in the very very early 90s. I thought they were lost, little did I know Oumie had them and she carefully kept them all these years. Finding them after they cleared out her flat was like finding a present. Six perfect plates and side plates. I remember lugging them to school as a youngster for our 'restaurant day' and our wonderful English teacher telling me how beautiful they are. Years later, they are our everyday plates, and I still think they are beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment