Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Revengy Lovey Thesising




SO, as I mentioned in a previous post I am starting work on my Masters again. A brief recap: 75% of the work is done but there is 1.5 years sitting squat and terrible between now and the last time I worked on it.  Time is a miserable, impossible squatter to evict... or exorcise.  And I have tried dear interwebz, oh how I've tried.

So what exactly tempted me back into the madness of my Masters? A kindly old man, with a glint in his eye and a message to me sitting in my inbox...accusingly. The thing about literature professors is that they have an enormous gift with words. They can use words to accuse us to the point where we squirm in the agony of having disappointed them. Their words can, conversely, make our hearts swell with courage and with pride.

Damn them.

So the email I got was 'very innocent'. It starts: "Dear Y, I would like to know if you would be interested in completing your MA. If you are not up to it, I shall accept it and never say another word about it again, I promise." – At this point I can see big kindly Bambi eyes beseeching me to work with a wonderful professor.

"If you would be interested then I would be very glad for it and we can start work immediately!" – Uh oh, Bambi has that manic edge of a rabid animal about him...

How could I resist? The University scrambled to get me resources, from as far afield as a Women's College in Tallahassee.  Imagine that? All of that effort to HELP me...it's a humbling experience.

So, I pulled up my socks, put on my big-girl panties and started working on the beast again after all the years. With sheer determination and caffeine- fuelled rage I evicted the squatter that is time, cleared the cobwebs, wiped the floor, dusted the bookshelf, stole a more comfortable chair (hey, how do we embark on a romantic quest without a touch of theft?) and started afresh.

A trained eye would see the maroon of a stolen chair :)


It wasn't long, however, before I ran into a big fat Coxe. The world is crawling with Coxes, we have all had to deal with a Coxe here and there... but this specified, plodding, opinionated, Wordsworth disparaging Coxe has really funked my cool and slowed my stride.

Big old useless Coxe

So I am ignoring the giant Coxe for now, and moving on to a much kinder Winters or Lowell.

Wish me luck!

PS: Zita is doing well, we are collecting her today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment