Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Love+horses...always horses


THREE years on a farm with horses and hounds definitely changed me. I bid adieu to my career and journalism and went to the farm under the guise of a sabbatical to work on my thesis. The thesis never got done – it progressed beautifully but it was never completed. Instead I basked in the guilty pleasure of silence and animals, novels and baking. Moving my single horse to the farm, knowing we’d be able to do rescue work – the excitement was intoxicating.  I was very happy.

I had to start work this year – four days per week up in Big Smoke (Johannesburg) and three on the farm. I started work to significantly alter our finances but also so that I could put something away, do something for myself – have something on my CV after three years. Every inch of cash I have had over the last three years went straight into horses, dogs, cats etc. It became ridiculous. Now armed with a salary, I can take care of myself a little AND take better care of the horses. Win/win. It did force me to take stock of what I need though, and upon careful inspection it became clear that Tristan and I were looking a little, well… Charles Dickens novel-esque. Last week I bought shoes for myself, not for a horse… I felt guilty. Yesterday I found a grey hair on my head and today I went to the hairdresser, I felt guilty about that too. I haven’t been to a hairdresser since 2009. For two reasons: 1) it costs far too much money 2) I actually started liking my wild, curly, mousy brown hair, a lot in fact. They must have taken 10cms off the ends! C’est la vie, goodbye curly rats tails.

The shoes need wearing in and the hair WILL look like Bruce Dickinson in the 80s after just one wash – but to me these expenses are so ridiculous and so obscure that it has been worth every cent.

I also took stock of the horses: the feed bills, the grooms, the five-weekly farrier, the dentist, the expensive rugs, the million and one grooming supplies, the supplements, the horse box… they are fairly set in spite of having an owner that resembled a hobo for three years.

I have them to thank, as an eternal student I would never have gotten my arse in gear to work a job like this - high responsibility, constant hard work even on weeknights. My horses motivate me and organise my life, even when I am too lazy to do it.

It has been a rough year so far, our dog ran off and never came back, our Blue pulled a ligament, our Rocky had a colic and I haven’t had time to cook – but in a few short weeks it has turned around beautifully.

I am feeling very light, and very fine indeed.

4 comments:

  1. "I am feeling very light, and very fine indeed."....love that. Glad that you are in a good place right now.

    You are absolutely right about how horses get our arse in gear and moving. My horse time over the last year has probably been more beneficial in relieving my stress and anxiety than any time spent sitting with a therapist. If I hadn't had my horse and my job, I think I would have parked myself on the sofa (armed with potato chips, of course) and never left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard for me to pull myself out of the missing dog slump. You'll note I didn't really talk about it or elaborate much - because it is too fresh, it stings a lot. I felt like every time my heart took a beat it also broke. That omni-sadness that fills our insides with cold metal. I don't know how to describe it. When a dog runs off you have a mixture of terror, sadness, loss and guilt. I sort of leapt into the work thing to help us out financially and also to occupy my mind - it really has helped. I was such a hermit, a complete recluse after my time on the farm. I was too afraid to nip off to the shops on my own because I was becoming afraid of public places. I had some trouble in the past with social phobia, almost like agoraphobia and I needed treatment for that. I made the decision to turn it around - I started this blog,I went to the beach, attended a black tie, started going for interviews, making myself get out of the car when we stopped at the shops and not just hang back and let Tristan take care of it. I think that sheds a little more light on things for you :) If it wasn't for the horses, I really don't think the motivation would have been there... the fear would have won. So while I have you here - it is worth saying how incredibly grateful I am for your contribution to this change and how you always make time to read and comment. I appreciate it more than you know Wolfie. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. My pleasure, Landers! I enjoy your blog very much. I completely understand about the missing dog slump. What you have described in your comment is not unfamiliar to me. You are a very strong person to recognize that you needed to take back control. Good for you! I don't think most people recognize how difficult it can be, but you have faced it head on. I hope you are as pleased with yourself as you should be. :-)

    Feel free to give me a shout any time at wolfiegem@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wolfie - much appreciated. You know I never thought of myself as strong. I think we should learn to pay ourselves more compliments. It is a small thing, a little blog, but it has given me such balm for the soul to write down all my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete