Cooking, loving and hating by a regular inebriate, master thesis-dodger, pseudo-foodie and all-round trouble maker.

Thursday 26 April 2012

love+making peace


 THERE is an enemy in our midst. Its name is Kitchen and its soldiers are pots and pans and dough that won’t prove. I’ve made a flopped beer bread, a flopped batch of cookies, an okay plate of pasta and a cake – where the icing split irreparably and no amount of quick chill or re-mix could save it. On top of this mess I managed to decorate it like a five-year-old. I hang my head in shame. Or would-be shame if I didn’t have the pleasure of cool beers and company while cooking.

Two tins of soon-to-be-flopped cake mix... I left out the coffee, I think. After that nothing really happens, which is the problem - a bit 'Waiting for Godot' really...

The sauce, a rich cream infused with black pepper, garlic and mushrooms simply did not reduce properly. A missed opportunity really, because it still looks workable here.


In my paltry defence I did conjure an amazing oxtail stew, served with couscous. I did this by mustering the very last of my soul’s resources in one lacklustre effort… goodness knows what I put in there but it was great. Either that or poor starved Tristan and poor starved me were so hungry for home-cooked food that we thought it was delicious – our stomachs elaborately tricking our tongues into sustaining our bodies.

Of course, Tristan “loves” everything I make. Bless him, even if he is a terrible liar.

Cooking provides a certain sort of balm for the soul – even when it flops. The rituals and traditions, the whole process has the effect of drawing you closer to yourself. I recently read a line from a novel by an Afrikaans authoress that read “by looking down to the ground I know where my strength will come from”. How true, eating connects us to the earth and cooking is the way in which we achieve this connection.

I think I am waxing lyrical again, so I’ll get to the point:  I blame Fancy Apron for my cooking failures. All that lovely fabric and wonderfully bright turquoise and brown loops. It gives you a feeling of ‘all gear no skill’. Damn you Fancy Apron that brings to mind hundreds of proper Afrikaans ladies in the kitchen from 4pm each day, wearing fancy aprons and cooking meat and two veg with instant pudding every single day for their litters of kids, husband, relatives etc. You know the sort of women I mean! The sort who only bake on special occasions and when they do they use lard and a cookbook that the National Party commissioned in the 40s – thanksverymuch. The sort who only ever sip sherry at New Year’s and who are so resourceful, so avidly frugal that they never buy clothes… only ever patterns and reams of material that will never match, but convincingly mimic what they have seen in a magazine. In other words, the sort of women who raised me. 

I have an ancient copy of this treasure, first published in 1951 and penned by the Domestic Goddess and Duchess of Frugal SJA De Villiers. Warning: must enjoy cooking with lard.

 For the long weekend my friend is coming to visit us on the farm, and I’ll be cooking something fierce. In my way then, I have made peace with the kitchen and will spend my weekend trying to prove that good triumphs over evil cooking flops. I shall also be wearing Fancy Apron, even if it conspires against me.

On a side note, I am busy reading a lovely novel, cosy in bed – and the question arises ‘what shall we eat tonight?’…


 Aren’t we incredibly lucky people?

4 comments:

  1. I am thankful every day for my life. We certainly are incredibly lucky people.

    I think you are too hard on yourself, my friend. I am sure just about everything you cook or bake is delish because you put part of yourself into it. I used to stress about having company. I wanted everything to be perfect. I would cook and clean and cook some more and yell at My Husband if he moved anything out of place before our guests arrived. And I would be exhausted while we were entertaining! One day, many years ago, a friend said "it probably doesn't matter how clean your bathroom is, or what food you put in front of them - your friends are there to spend time with YOU." His comment freed me. :-) Yes, my home is tidy and the bathrooms clean. But I don't stress about the cooking any longer; the simpler the better. We do a lot of barbeques perhaps with a side of pan-fried shrimps and grilled veggies. I am all about being an active participant in the evening's festivities, not the one yawning in the corner. :-)

    You have to tell me what your secret is for Oxtail Stew....my father used to make it. It's one of my favourite stews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhahahahaha! You are so so right my friend! Cooking simply is one of the best ways to do it. That is very good advice.

      Your friend is also right, people who visit to scrutinize are not friends anyway - and though we rarely entertain I have learnt not to let it get to me. Besides, I take care of so many animals that if I got in a tiff every time a cat tears a bog roll to bits in the hallway, I'd be in electro-shock therapy by now! :D

      I know I am hard on myself, but I had to learn everything I know about cooking - and only got into it in the last 7 years or so. I guess I am eager to prove I have some power over a pot, having been one of those tragic 'I-can't-cook-toast' cases when I first moved 1200kms from home to attend varsity.

      In other news this week-end's cooking was a massive success and I had a great time. I'll tell you all about it (along with my oxtail recipe, which we had again!) in the next post.

      Have a restful weekend Wolfie!

      Delete
  2. I'm still sitting here in blissful shock at the name Tristan. I find it so rarely these days!

    Somehow, despite your claims that all pictured items flopped, they still managed to elicit hunger pangs and some kind of vicarious olfactory triggers!

    Much agree with Wolfie - sure it is delicious because you put part of yourself in it!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Rachel,

      Thanks very much for the compliment - I suppose it wasn't all bad and it certainly is the process that counts even when it isn't perfect ;)

      I really love the name too - I suppose we have quite a few rare gems here in the melting pot that is SA that we still hear and don't even know to appreciate.

      Delete